Saturday, April 14, 2007


Well, it snowed last night. . .on Friday the 13th! TOO weird, we had measureable snow here yesterday! During the kids spring break for God's Sake! After raining all day, it started snowing around 7pm. Needless to say the kids thought it was cool! I think most of it will melt today though. We will see. . .
My week has been pretty much uneventful. . .save water balloons being popped in the living room and kids hopped up on Trix Crispy Treats (yeah. . .Trix and marshmallows! Yippee, can you say HYPER!!!) I guess by uneventful I mean I did not get to do anything that I needed to do, except laundry, this week. The girls and I did go to Curves, but that is about it. Hopefully this week, when everyone is GONE, I can get some things done.
I started out the week in Maryland. We took my Aunt and cousins to Einsteins for breakfast then my sister drove them home. When she got back we talked for a little bit then we left for the airport. On the way to the airport we visited my mom's grave. She says she goes often, since it is only about 10 minutes from her house at the most. My check in time was 4:45 for a 5:15 flight. We left the cemetary at just before 4 pm. I arrived at the skycap at 4:40 to check one bag. He asked me when my flight was and I told him 5:15, he looked at me like I had horns or something and threw my boarding pass back at me (I had already checked in online at my dad house) and told me I better RUN! I was like, dude, I just made this flight a couple of months ago. . .relax. So I went about 1000 feet to the security check point at Reagan National Airport, which is about 1500 feet or so from my gate, gave them my id and boarding pass and got in line. As I took off my shoes, cuz everyone these days has to do that, I put took out all the metal I had. . .my cell phone etc and put it in my carry on. I made a mental note of my person to make sure I was "good to go". I had the same bra on I flew out to Maryland with and it was an underwire, but it had not set off any alarms in KC (unless you count my husbands. . .) so I figured I was fine there. Nothing else metal on me so I knew I would breeze through the checkpoint. WRONG!
I kept setting off the alarms! We could not figure out what is was so I was taken aside to wait for a female TSA agent to inspect my "wares". Of course she was taking a break or something and did not seem to interested in moving quickly. She leisurly finished her conversation with another TSA agent as I stood there in my stocking feet waiting to be patted down so I could catch my flight home. After another agent gathered all of my things, my purse, my shoes, my carry on and the little bowl that now held my earrings and necklace. . .just in case they were the metal detecting culprit, and took me further down to wait. Right next to a wall clock that read, 4:50. I sat patiently, well at least I seemed patient on the outside. . . Ask my husband, I am not very patient when it comes to being on time. I HATE to be late. I did not want to leave as late as we did from my parents house, but I was not driving so I just went with the flow. So here I am trying not to cause any undo commotion that would get me in big trouble, waiting, so it seemed, patiently. The female agent finally comes over and in painstaking detail explains exactly what she will be looking for and at and when. Inside I'm thinking, just a quick pat down and you will see that yes, indeed this is all my fat. . . I tell her quietly since now there is a man and his cooresponding male TSA agent right next to us, that I have on an underwire bra. She notes that and proceeds to scan my body with the metal detecting wand of doom, which goes off at my bust on both sides of my body. Great, lets go I think. Nope, not so fast. The wand started beeping at my head now! What, my head? Ma'am, Are your barrettes metal? DOH, why yes they are. I did not wear barrettes on the flight out to MD. So now it is time to put down the wand and use her hands on select places. . .which she again explains in excrusiating detail! Finally she is done and I can go. I try not to run as I grab my things, put my shoes back on. . .thank God for slip on shoes! As I arrive at my gate, there are just a few people in line waiting to board. I casually, on the outside again, fall in line like I have been here for hours looking at the overpriced magazines, books and $5 bottles of water. Whew, makes me tired just thinking of it! After some chit chat with my seat mate, I dove into my book, determined to finish it before we landed in KC. The rest of the flight I only stopped reading long enough to get some pretzets and a drink. . .and then 2 world famous hot chocolate chip cookies. I finished the last sentence just as we touched down. Perfect timing. . .

No comments: